Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sandakphu-Phalut






From Darjeeling hills where tea plantations stretch as far as the eye can see, to Sikkim, an ancient Himalayan kingdom of Tibetan culture, this trek offers breath-taking views of the Himalayan range from Cho Oyo to Kanchenjunga. The Singalila range is one of the rare spots on earth where the view embraces five summits rising above 8000m, amongst them Everest, Makalu and Lhotse. On these 19th century English Lords trails, you will trek on easy narrow paths along the Indo-Nepali border, sometimes at the edge of the jungle, sometimes through rhododendron forests.




Trek Information


Trek Name: Sandakphu-Phalut Trek
Location: WestBengal
Base: Maneybhanjan
Peaks Visible: Mt. Everest, Mt. Makalu, Mt. Lhotse, Kanchandzonga, Kabru, Kumbhakarna,Mt. Pandim, Mt. Simbho, Three Sisiters.
Best Season: April - May (for Flowers), October - December (Scenic View)




ITINERARY


21st Oct,09:Start from Kolkata(Board Train)
22nd Oct,09:NJP -> Maneybhanjan
23rd Oct,09:Maneybhanjan -> Tumling
24rth Oct,09:Tumling -> Kalapokhri
25th Oct,09:Kalapokhri -> Sandakphu
26th Oct,09:Sandakphu -> Phalut
27th Oct,09:Phalut -> Gorkhey
28th Oct,09:Gorkhey -> Srikhola
29th Oct,09:Srikhola -> Seppy -> Darjeeling
30th Oct,09:Rest Day
31st Oct,09:Darjeeling -> NJP(Board Train)
1st Nov,09: Reach Kolkata



MAP





My Team



Anindya Dasgupta


Subhajit Mukherjee




Sandip Paria



Suman Bhattyachariya



Me (Samya Roy)








How it all happened


It was year 2007 when I first tried something like trekking.Me and my three friends(Anindya, Suman & Subhajit)planned to trek Ayodhya Hills.We didn't had any proper equipments.We somehow managed to reach the top after a six hour walk.After reaching the hilltop the feeling was very satisfying.But after that I didn't get the opportunity to do any kind of trekking again.But in May this year my sister planned to do Hilley-Barsey trek with two more families.And the experience was awesome.On that trek I met a couple who have recently done Sandakphu-Phalut trek with their 8 year old kid.From there I gathered some information about this trek.After my Barsey trek I started gathering more informations.I saw some awsome images taken from Sandakphu and Phalut and that has given me the encouragement to go for this trek.I asked my friends about that and they became more excited than me at that time.So initially we were 4 friends planning to do this trek.As I was gathering information on net I found out that a site named INDIAMIKE.COM had all the informations that I need.So I got myself registered and entered my queries and they ware answered almost instantly(thanks to all the Indiamikers).I got valuable inputs from that site and I got more confident about doing this trek successfully.Meanwhile one of my school friend named Sandip showed his interest for this trek.So the number of member of our group became 5.We booked our ticket in Darjeeling Mail.We were scheduled to board train from Sealdah on 21st October,2009 and scheduled to board the return train from NJP on 31st October.We decided to approach this trek properly.So we visited some equipment selling shops in kolkata(ALPINE 360,RIA MOUNT SUPPORT,CLIFFLINE,UBAC).I liked the 50 liter sack of RIA MOUNT SUPPORT and also liked Satyajit da(The Owner of Ria Mount Support).So me and my three friends decided to buy that sack and me and Sandip also bought a Holofil Jacket from there.


The Journey


Day 1 (21st Oct,2009):
Sealdah -> NJP: 567 Km.
Train Name: 2343 Darjeeling Mail.
Duration: 12 hr.


Finally the D Day came and we boarded Darjeeling Mail.


It all began from here and also ended in here


Day 2 (22nd Oct,2009):
NJP -> Maneybhanjan: 85 Km.
Duration: 4-5 hr. Drive.


We reached NJP at 8 in the morning.There was a group from Haldia who were also doing this trek with us ware waiting for us as discussed before(I met Dhiman and his group via Indiamike).So we hired a sumo and went to Maneybhanjan.There I met Jibanda.I had talks with him before.So he was expecting us.In the evening we met our porter cum guide Peter as arranged by Jiban da.We discussed our route and plan and cleared things together.Next day morning was a very big day for us.





Monestry of Manyebhanjan


Day 3 (23rd Oct,2009):
MANEBHANJAN(6594FT) -> CHITREY(8202FT) -> TUMLING(9547FT) = 9 KM
Duration: 5-6 hr.
Grade: STEEP ACSENT = TOUGH


We started from Maneybhanjan at 8 in the morning.I knew that first 2.5 Km will be very painful for us and it was indeed. After 1.15 hour of struggle we reached Chitrey.Sandip was the first to reach there.We took some rest and had tea there.We met another group from kolkata at that tea stall.We began our journey for Meghma.On the way the weather got a worst.When we reached Meghma it was very dark and visibility was minimum.We took some rest and had tea and quickly left Meghma for Tumling.At around 1.15 we reached Tumling.The weather was not that good that time and the light was very minimum.We took a 5 bedded room at Shikhar Lodge.The room was very good so are the beds but the main talking point of this lodge is Nila didi.She is a very lovable person.I have heard about her before but she is very good at hosting us. The food was excelent.It was very chilly at night.So we went to bed after having dinner.






Starting our journey from Manybhanjan


Anindya & Sandip infront of Shikhar Lodge, Tumling




Day 4 (24rth Oct, 2009):
TUMLING(9547FT) -> GAIRIBAS(8596FT) -> KALAPOKHRI(9678FT) = 14 KM
Duration: 5-6 hr.
Grade: MIXED = EASY


I woke up at 5 in the morning.The weather was perfect.We saw the whole Kanchandzonga range and some of the Everest range.Annapurna 1 was also visible from Tumling.After having breakfast we started our journey at around 8.30 AM.Todays destination is Kalapokhri.After 1 hour we reached Gairibus.From there its a 3 Km. steep acsent.We were the last group to leave Tumling and we reach Kalapokhri at around 1 Pm as being the 2nd group.We took shelter in Pandim Lodge.In the evening I watched a football match being played between the porters.It was much more cold out there than Tumling.



Starting our journey from Tumling


Kalapokhri


Pandim Lodge ,Kalapokhri




Day 5 (25th Oct,2009):
KALAPOKHRI(9678FT) -> BIKHEYBHANJAN(10991FT) -> SANDAKPHU(11929FT) = 7 KM
Duration: 3-4 hr.
Grade: STEEP ACSENT = Tough.


I woke up at 7 in the morning.After having breakfast we were ready for the last 7 Km to reach our destination, Sandakphu.The weather was perfect.We started at 9 in the morning from Kalapokhri.After 1 hour or so we reached Bikheybhanjan.The road till there was mostly downhill.So it didn't took that much of a time to reach there.We took some rest and got ready for the final 4 Km steep acsent.After 2.30 hr. struggle we reached Sandakphu at around 12.30.The whole Kanchandzonga range was vissible there.I can also see the Everest range from there.We got our room in Sherpa Challet.I quickly changed my cloths and went outside to explore the area.Me and my friend Sandip climbed in a small hill there to get the clear view of the whole range.In the evening I saw the magical sunset.It was amazing and I dont have words to describe that.At night it was freezing out there.



My group and Dhiman's group @ Bikheybhanjan


Kanchandzonga range or famously known as the "SLEEPING BUDDHA"


Day 6 (26th,Oct 2009):
SANDAKPHU(11929FT) -> SABARKUM(11601FT) -> PHALUT(11811FT) = 21 KM
Duration: 6-8 hr.
Grade: MIXED = Hectic


I woke up at 5 in the morning and quickly went outside to see the sunrise.It was very chilly out there.My hands were freezing.But the sunrise was breathtaking.I wish I could stay there for the whole morning but I couldn't as We had to get ready for the toughest day of the trek so far as we leave for Phalut.We started 8 in the morning.Phalut has only on hut with 20 odd beds and that day there were 6 groups going there.So the group that reaches first will get the best accomodation.So we had to rush also.Me and Sandip took the lead and overtook a group going to phalut.Soon we became the first group on the trail.But as our guide was with the other members we took a wrong route, thinking that as a short cut.But soon we discovered that it was leading us to a Nepali village.So we had to return back and meanwhile two groups overtook up.So we almost ran down the valley to catch up with them.I also met my group members in that process.Finally we overtook everyone again and became the first group.From there we did.nt took any short cut.After 4 hour we reached Sabarkum.We took some rest there.From there Phalut was 7 Km away.But that 7 Km was very boring as the rad became very monotonous.After 6 hours struggle we finally reached Phalut and we were the first group to reach that day.Anindya and Suman were the last to reach in my group(after 1.30 hrs wait).Phalut was the most windy place I have ever been to.I can hear the sound of wind blowing as I go to toilet.It was the coldest day of the trek also.



Starting our journey from Sandakphu


On the way to Phalut


Sandip, the 1st one to reach Phalut that day


Day 7 (27th Oct,2009):
PHALUT(11811FT) -> GORKHEY(9022FT) = 13 KM.
Duration: 3-4 hr.
Grade: STEEP DESCEND = EASY


I woke up early and went to to Phalut top which was a 1 Km climb from the hut.From Phalut I felt that Kanchandzong is now within my reach.It felt like its just 2 or 3 mountain away.Took some great shots with my camera.I felt very sad while coming back to my hut from there, thinking that I wont see Kanchandzonga anymore in this trek.Today our destination is Gorkhey.Its a steep downhill from Phalut of about 13 Km.It didn't took long to reach Gorkhey though it was very painful for my legs.I found Gorkhey to be the best place in the whole trek.There are two rivers flowing (Gorkhey River and Rammam River).We stayed in Eden Lodge.At night our porter cooked a chicken.The food was delicious.





Phalut Top


On the way to Gorkhey


Gorkhey





Day 8 (28th Oct,2009):
GORKHEY(9022FT) -> SRIKHOLA(7710FT) = 16 KM
Duration: 4-5 hr.
Grade: GRADUAL DESCEND = EASY


Today our destination is Srikhola which is approximately 16 km from Gorkhey.After 1.45 mins walk we reached Rammam.The noodles that I eat there was the best of the trek.After 3.30 hr walk we reached Srikhola.We stayed at Goparma Lodge there.That day I say people running in the trail.Actually there are the participants of the Run and Trek competitions which was also going on.I saw a couple aging over 60s running together in that trail where we struggled to walk.



Srikhola


Day 9 (29th Oct,2009):
SRIKHOLA(7710FT) -> SEPPY(7650FT) = 2 KM
Duration: 30 mins.
SEPPY -> DARJEELING = 60 KM
Duration: 4-5 hr. Drive.


This is the final day of trekking.We started at 5.30 in the morning as we have to catch the first jeep from Seppy which is 2km from Srikhola.We reached Seppy at 6, but the jeep which was about to come for us brokedown .Our Guide called for another jeep which came after 1 hour of waiting.Our destination was Darjeeling, but we met Jiban da at Manyebhanjan as the jeep gives a halt at Maneybhanjan.We left Maneybhanjan and reached Darjeeling at around 11.After a little searching we booked a room at hotel FullMoom near Mall.



Waiting for our jeep @ Seppy


Day10 (30th Oct,2009):


Today we went to Rockgarden and HMI and ZOO.I liked the Zoo and HMI most.HMI museum was very inspiring.In zoo I saw red panda.He was very adorable.In the evening we all went to the market for some shopping.I did buy some stuffs for my family.


RockGarden HMI
























Day11 (31st Oct,2009):
DARJEELING -> NJP = 88 KM
Duration: 4-5 hr. Drive.
Train Name: 2344 Darjeeling Mail.
Duration: 10 hr.


Today is the day to say bye bye to the Queen Of Hills.We left Darjeeling at 1 and reached NJP at 5.30 in the evening.Our train was at 8.


Market in Darjeeling Chowrastha More





















Day12 (1st Oct,2009):


We reached Sealdah at 6 in the morning and I reached my home at 7.30.And thats how it all ended.Right from where it all started .These are one of the best few days of my life so far.




PHOTOS







Maneybhanjan


The first 2 Km climb to Chitrey




After 1.30 hour struggle we reach Chitrey



Upto Chitrey was very painful and it can be seen on there faces


This is only the begining


On the way to Meghma





Sunrise @ Tumling



Sunrise @ Tumling


First rays on Kanchandzonga



First rays on Mt. Kumbhakarna



First rays on Mt Pandim



First rays on Kabru



Kanchandzonga from Tumling



Sleeping Buddha from Tumling



Starting the journey for Kalapokhri from Tumling



My team @ Tumling



Anindya, Me & Sandip @ Bikheybhanjan

Me @ Tumling


Kalapokhri



Anindya praying at the holly lake "Kalapokhri"



Anindya & Subhajit at Bikheybhanjan


Clicking each other



First view from Sandakphu








Suman infront of our hotel "Sherpa Challet"


Kanchandzonga during Sunset from Sandakphu



Kanchandzonga from Sandakphu








Kumbhakarna from Sandakphu



Pandim from Sandakphu



Kanchandzonga showing its colors during sunset from Sandakphu





The whole range glowing during sunset








Sunrise @ Sandakphu



Proud to be an Indian



Before our journey to Phalut



On the way to Phalut



Everest range in background













Taking some time off.



Way to Phalut



Phalut hut can be seen on the top of the ridge



Sandip celebrating after reaching Phalut


Inside the Phalut Hut



At Phalut Top during Sunrise













My team @ Phalut top



Me Anindya & Sandip @ Phalut top



Sunset at Sandakphu



Lhotse,Everest & Makalu from Sandakphu



Three Sister from Phalut



Khanchandzonga range from Phalut



From Phalut Kanchandzonga just 45 Kms away(Areal Distance)


















Chowkhamba & Annapurna I from Phalut



Heaven on Earth



Flower found in Gorkhey





Samanden



Gorkhey



My team @ Gorkhey


Rare flowers found at Rammam



Srikhola



Before saying goodbye to Peter (Our Guide) who was with us for the last few days.












29 comments:

  1. a lovely trip and indeed a very good blog, very photographic and personal, took me right there. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks a lot for liking my effort.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome dude. It is inspirational too, me am all geared to go there myself. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks a lot and best of luck. Do post your photos....

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey...recently we a 14 member team from kolkata trekked from 7th to 19th oct 2011, startin frm barsey rhododendron sanctuary sikkim -lasune-joributi-thulodhap-kalijhar-singalila top-phallut-sandakphu-gurdum-rimbik. the trek was awesom and mindblowing....but too strenous......seeing ur pics and writing it made me go down memory lane....its d same trekkers hut dat we stayed....at phalut....nice to see d pics again..!!!caaryy on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey congratz on your successful trek, a little late though... Waiting for your pictures link....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Blog Dude...I was looking more dscrption wid pics i got it through ur blog....Actually me and my frnds also planned to go there in Sept last so pretty much excited and looking sites like crazy to get more and more stuffs....good job Samya...

    ReplyDelete
  8. really adventureous. i reached sandakfu 30 april.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratz. .. Sorry for the late reply.. I was unable to access my blog lately..

      Delete
  9. Awesome Photography and good information is stored in this site. I am very very very much impressed & also thankful to you..

    Priyadarshi Ghosh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can u provide the phone no of Goparma Lodge

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I visit this place in last May 2013...its really awesome...it's like dreams come truth. :)
    its like havens.....I suggest every one can visit this place once in a life...its a life time achievement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats so true Tanusree.... I have been to many places but this place is very close to me....

      Delete
  13. Thanx for your valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We need your help regarding this tracking, we wish to visit this place is this December 2015, its a preferably time to visit this trading place? And can you give us a little information about costing of this tracking?
    Again thanks for your whole information, I read your whole blog. Please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The great snap marked as "Heaven on Earth" was from Sandakphu or Phalut ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for writing about your experience. I like your blog. It is very understandable post with wonderful images. You can also check best hotels in Darjeeling with an best amenities.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, can you please give the contact number of Shikhar Lodge,Tumling . Please !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I'm planning for my trip to sadakphu during April 16 . Very much inspired with your story. Please let me know whether the places and also accommodations are safe for woman traveller.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am really sorry that I could not reply to any of the posts for the past few months. I will try to reply the comments from now on ASAP. Thank you so much for your comments and appreciating my effort...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shawon Chakraborty .... the snap heaven on earth was taken from Pahlut top... thank you so much for liking it....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi friend I go through your blog and it's very interesting to me. I already visit two times at Tonglu but never go to sandakphu & phalut. We are some friends plan to visit Sandakphu & Phalut on mid November 2016. Can you tell me is there any possibilities of snow falls.
    Thanks Pradip
    pradipdutta2003@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Snow falls is depends on the weather, if weather is so bad and foggy then you can definitely get snow falls.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really amazing post about your travel! thanks for sharing this wonderful experience in your blog. Enjoyed reading this blog. It inspires like to make a trip to those places. Plan your trip by booking bus tickets in advance to get exciting Bus Ticket offers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great. I truly appreciated especially with this article here. Truly it is an astounding article I had ever perused.
    Book budget hotels in port blair
    Book budget hotels in havelock
    Book budget hotels in neil island

    ReplyDelete